A hiccup is an unintentional movement (spasm) of the diaphragm, the muscle at the base of the lungs. The spasm is followed by quick closing of the vocal cords, which produces a distinctive(hic) sound is its symptom.Hiccups are common among new born babies and infants.Also known as "hiccoughs".Hiccup moments are embarrassing and sometimes funny too.
We get Short-term hiccups because of
- Eating too much
- Drinking carbonated beverages
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Sudden temperature changes
- Excitement or emotional stress
Short-term hiccups disappear within few minutes.
We get Long-term hiccups because of
- Nerve damage or irritation
- Central nervous system disorders
- Metabolic disorders and drugs
Long-term hiccups which last more than 48hrs can cause problems with eating, sleeping and breathing.In such case,consulting a doctor is advisable.
Best treatment for hiccups is to drink water immediately.